Friday 5 August 2016

Books I Read in July

It's been ages since I remembered to do a monthly wrap up type post, but since I'm aiming to post every day this month and I do actually enjoy writing about what I've read as I don't get around to doing it most of the time, I thought why not?

In July I started nine books. As of the writing of this post I've finished six of them plus one that I didn't start in July.

Of course I read Little Town on the Prairie for the Little House Read-Along, which is getting scarily close to its end (and actually I've just finished These Happy Golden Years too so expect a review of that coming up soon!).

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini TaylorDaughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor was sent to me by my lovely secret sister of the last round, Amy, because it's her favourite book and I loved it and can't wait to read the second one! 

The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains by Neil Gaiman I picked up during the 24 in 48 readathon so that I could say I'd finished something, and then I realised that I'd already read it previously but minus the amazing artwork of Eddie Campbell which definitely took the story to another level.

The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews Edwards and Julie Andrews
The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews Edwards, otherwise known as Mary Poppins was July's pick for the kid lit book club I'm in with various members of my family. The story was so sweet and funny - kind of like a mash up of Narnia and Labyrinth, and yes that is as excellent as it sounds!


Anna and the French Kiss, and Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins I re-read ahead of next weeks Re-Readathon because I just couldn't wait, and they were as excellent as I remembered. See my review for more!

And finally, I finished Middlemarch by George Eliot, which I've been reading for the #EliotAlong. This is the book that's been on my TBR longest and I am so proud of myself for finishing it. And bonus, I loved it! Final post coming up on Monday!

I also started Vitamin N by Richard Louv, all about ways to incorporate more nature into our lives, which you can imagine I'm loving but consuming in bitesize pieces because it's good for that. I also started Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay and again am taking it slow because I want to bask in the excellence. I'm also still reading Desire for Chocolate by Care Santos, about a chocolate pot belonging to several generations of women, and their stories.

When I started this post I was going to say that July wasn't that great a reading month, but it seems I was wrong, and that's the greatness of a wrap-up post!

Favourite Book of the month: Tie between Anna and Lola. All the butterflies!
Most Unexpected Book of the month: Middlemarch for sure. There's a reason I had to get loads of people to join me before I could actually make myself read it. It wasn't at all what I expected, in the best of ways!
Most Beautiful Book of the month: The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains. Just so gorgeous and atmospheric!

What was the best thing you read in July?

4 comments:

  1. Glad you finally read Middlemarch. I think classics are best read with others because there's so many possible discussions to be had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did good! I love Gaiman so I'll have to check that book out! Happy August!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really good reading month, Bex! I am due for a Daughter of Smoke and Bone re-read, but I remember the writing being utterly gorgeous. I still need to read the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yay, Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I was really chuffed at the weekend because I found the third book in a charity in shop in perfect condition and it was the only one I didn't own. I really liked that series :)

    I STILL need to read Anna and the French Kiss though. Somebody bought it for me during my first year of blogging aaaaaaaages ago and I still haven't read it. I DO want to because I've never heard anybody say anything bad about it, but now it's A Thing because I've almost had it TOO long?

    ReplyDelete