Tuesday 6 December 2011

Top Ten Favourite Books from Childhood

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature at The Broke and the Bookish.

I think my new years resolution is going to be to participate more in Top Ten Tuesday. This week's list was one I could do straight off the top of my head. The majority of books on my list of childhood favourites are books my siblings and I were read for bedtime stories. There are some exceptions, though.

1. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott - I know I go on about this book all the time, but if I had to choose one book to be the only book I could read for the rest of my life, I really think this might be it. The first book I remember reading in one sitting!
2. Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild - I remember my mum reading this to me when I was really young, and it's the book that began my love of Streatfeild.
3. The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton
4. The Adventures of the Wishing Chair by Enid Blyton
5. Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren - No member of my family has ever quite got over the awesomeness of this book. Another bed time story (they were a really big deal in my house), we still make random references to 'the sarkus' and 'pluttification' all the time, and I still dream about making gingersnaps on the kitchen floor :-)
6. Harry and the Wrinklies by Alan Temperley
7. The BFG by Roald Dahl
8. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S Lewis - Still a huge favourite, I'm currently loving the films and planning a re-read in 2012.
9. The Silver Sword by Ian Serailler - I found this on my mums bookshelf aged about eight and fell in love with it. Probably one of the first books about a really difficult issue that I read.
10. Rabble Starkey by Lois Lowry - I got this from a library sale with my pocket money (it cost about 10p) because I was a huge fan of Lowry's Anastasia series, and I read it over and over again. I think I still have it somewhere...

Any of mine on your lists? :-)

3 comments:

  1. I've got about half those titles on my list too. I absolutely adored Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl and Little Women (I never read the sequels) as a kid. Actually, I still do! There are a few books on your list I haven't read but I might take a look at, they sound really interesting and I love taking a stroll through children's lit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting to see how I've only started to read everyone's else childhood favorit (at least in the book blogging community) after college, when my English was up for it.

    Better late than never!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enid Blyton! My mom used to read her stories to my brother and I. I think I still have one or two collections them. I'll have to see!

    ReplyDelete