Saturday 3 December 2011

The Telling Tales Challenge 2012!!

Picture credit: the Cheeseninja

Welcome to An Armchair by the Sea’s first reading challenge! Some of you may know about my love of/obsession with/totally crazed mania for all things fairytale and mythology based. While chatting with my sister Esther about our shared love of reading challenges and desire to set up a challenge of our own, we came up with an idea (inspired by the Once Upon a Time Challenge) for a challenge based around reading things to do with mythology, fairytales, legends and folklore, and so here it is!
The Telling Tales Reading Challenge 2012
Rules:
·         Challenge runs from January 1st 2012 to December 31st 2012. You may sign up to participate at any point between these dates.
·         Any genre counts as long as it is related to fairytale, folklore, or mythology in some way. If you’re not sure if it counts – as long as you can make a case for why it should, then it does!
·         You can re-read books for this challenge as long as the reviews you link are written during 2012, and the challenge can also overlap other challenges.
·         Whatever you read must either be a version of a fairytale or myth, or contain fairytale or mythological characters, settings, or sequence of events.
·         Every month there will be update posts either here or on my sister’s blog. Please link up your reviews for that month on this post.
That’s it!
Now, the important bit.
The Categories
These are the levels:
Level 1: Read 5 books
Level 2: Read 10 books
Level 3: Read 15 books
Level 4: Read 20 books
Level 5: Read 25 books
You can sign up for any level, and choose to read either purely the categories listed below, or to participate in the Mix n Match category, or the Adaptation Amalgamation category, or all of them if you're that brave!
Categories:
Twisted Fairytales – retellings or modern interpretations of fairytales or myths. For inspiration, look here.
Classics – Myth and fairytale from the classics genre (e.g. Homer, Grimm, Virgil, Hans Christian Andersen)
Graphics – Graphic novels and comics based around or containing elements of mythology and fairytale. Examples include Neil Gaiman’s Sandman series and Bill Willingham’s Fables series among others. For a list that barely scrapes the surface, go here.
Poetry & Drama – We’ve put this in because we’re sure there must be some. I've managed to find some, but if you know of any others please let us know!

Non- Fiction – Anything about myth, fairytale, folklore or fantasy in general that doesn’t belong to the fictional genre.

Extra Categories
Adaptation Amalgamation – Watch a film and read the book it is based on. This category can incorporate as many other categories as you like (i.e all your films do not have to be based on graphic novels, but some can be, and some twisted fairytale, some non-fiction etc)
Mix n Match – Exactly what it says. Sign up for a level and pick that number of books from any or all of the other categories.
As you can probably tell, Esther and I like to make lists. If this seems incredibly convoluted and off-putting, we apologise and take solace in the fact that we have each other, so neither of us will be doing the challenge alone! We do hope that other people will join us though, as it’s always fun to find out about new books, and the more people that do it, the more likely we are to finish it!

34 comments:

  1. The only drama I can think of that would fit in this category is Metamorphoses by Mary Zimmerman. Of course, though, there are a ton of children's plays based on fairytales - I am currently doing The Princess and the Pea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There must be more - I'm currently compiling a list for inspiration purposes and I'm determined to find some! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great , am compiling a list of 2012 challenges . I'm a new follower www.thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definately going to give this one a try. I found you through A NOVEL CHALLENGE.

    http://anabundanceofbooks.blogspot.com/2011/12/telling-tales-reading-challenge-2012.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer - we are very glad to have you, I'll add you to the list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent! :D I was looking for a fairy tale challenge and this is perfect. Here's my challenge sign-up post: http://onceuponatime.jaedia.net/?p=4311

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hannah - thats exactly the kind of reaction I was hoping people would have! :-) i'll add you to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I decided to join in for this challenge:
    http://myreadingbooks.blogspot.com/2011/12/reading-challenges-for-2012.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. no way i can resist this i love fairytales

    ReplyDelete
  10. oops forgot my link

    http://cogito-ergo-blogo.blogspot.com/2011/12/telling-tales-reading-challenge-2012.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome :-) Welcome Kailana, and hi, Tom! Will add you both to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm coming wouldnt miss it for anything however no link yet as am spending festivities moving my blogs around and setting up special place for books am reading rather than writing - save me a good spot by the sea I will be back in a week I hope:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would like to join. I did one similar and realy enjoyed it. I am Lindy Girlsgood@aol.com.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm signing up for this! Here's my post:

    http://back-to-books.blogspot.com/2011/12/telling-tales-reading-challenge-2012.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beowulf - Gilamesh - Inanna would all count I think
    I am compiling my list now for posting when i get the hang of my new blogsite and how to upload the badge!! I will get there determined to sit in my armchair and get me some ozone!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am signing up for this and here is my introduction post!
    http://pageafterpage-kim.blogspot.com/2011/12/telling-tales.html

    I have a fun list going of possible book choices--in love with fairy tales: the real and the twisted!
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great challenge!

    http://verysimplesecret.blogspot.com/2012/01/2012-reading-goals.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am in.
    http://wvredreads.com/2012/01/2012-challenges-and-plans.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Definitely joining in on this one! http://tfrances.wordpress.com/2012/01/02/2012-fairy-tale-reading-challenge/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great challenge! Love the button. Thanks for hosting!

    http://truebookaddictchallenges.blogspot.com/2012/01/telling-tales-challenge-2012.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so excited about this challenge! I adore fairy tales and love a good excuse to read them. I found you through A Novel Challenge.

    Jenny @ Stone Soup Books

    http://stonesoupbooks.wordpress.com/2012/01/06/the-telling-tales-reading-challenege-2012/

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm pretty excited about this challenge! I decided to do the mix and match category, and I'm going for Level 2!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I do so love fairytale retellings, so this is the perfect challenge! I do not have a blog, but I can leave a link of my reviews on Goodreads. I have prepared a shelf for this challenge. I'm really looking forward to this and will be trying for level 2.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This week I started my own blog (abookwormstreasuretrove.blogspot.com) and I have list all the reading challenges I'm participating in as well as my preliminary reading lists for each challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Finally got around to signing up:
    http://readingchallenged.blogspot.com/2012/01/telling-tales-challenge.html

    Also, I thought of another play (I just had auditions for it): The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon by Don Zolidis - it is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Late as always but life gets in the way sometimes! I have written a post about the challenge and which books I hope to read during the year on http://albertareads.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think that half the fun of this challenge is just reading all the nifty titles that people have posted in their entry comments. My own post isn't nearly as grand as some, but it's this:
    25 mix n match selections
    and my blog (for this) is here:
    http://edenmabee.wordpress.com/2012/01/22/a-new-challenge-takes-over/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just found this challenge and it's perfect for me! I'm going to join just at the Level 1 but hope to reach Level 2 before I'm done. I'll do the Mix and Match - who knows what all I'll find to read!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Signing up for this challenge. These stories are favorites.

    http://www.inkalicious.com/ninjaink/index.php?entry=Book-Challenges

    ReplyDelete
  30. God, I'm sorry it's taken me SO LONG to sign up for this! Better late than never?

    *cringes* Sorry.

    http://bookinginheels.blogspot.com/2012/02/case-of-lazy-itis.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. I would love to join this challenge! I love fairy tales!

    http://awriterswife-bcray.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. OOOH!! I am SO IN!!!

    http://sarrod22.blogspot.com/2012/07/telling-tales-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi - wandered over to say I have a review of Inanna up and am about to do A Carters book of fairy tales only to find my link leads nowhere:( is there somewhere i can repair it or can only you do so
    http://albertareads.wordpress.com is what it should be

    I have read a few of my list now and am beginning to write about them so would be nice to be tidy:) I am number 8 - thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alberta, sorry about that! I did actually notice that the other day, so I'm glad you stopped by! The link up for July is here so if you put your review up there, I'll add it to the master list!

      Delete