Tuesday 12 May 2015

Bout of Books: Master Post

There is so much going on in the blogging world at the moment it's unreal! I didn't get a change to write a wrap up post for the Re-readathon so just let me say it was a big success from my point of view and I loved it and all of you who took part. I got four books finished and half way through Attachments which was awesome, and if you wrote a wrap up post you still have time to link up here for an extra giveaway entry before I draw a winner or two later tonight or tomorrow!

Bout of Books

And now on to the business of the week, Bout of Books! I didn't get chance to post this yesterday as I was working all day and then we had to get the boys to bed and have date night, but I did get a lot of reading done: almost the entire of The Icarus Girl by Helen Oyeyemi which I'm loving! Here is my pile for this week:


And some goals:

* Visit at least two new to me blogs per day and say hi
* Read every day
* Talk to a few new people on the twitter hashtag
* Finish a couple of books
* Take part in all the daily events (although I unfortunately won't be able to make the twitter chats)
* Have an awesome time!

I'll be updating this post daily and reposting it on twitter so if you want to follow my reading feel free to follow me there (I'm mostly @NinjaBookSwap now, but also @fairybookgirl)

Monday's event was a bookish survey hosted by Writing My Own Fairy Tale which I'm going to answer despite the giveaway associated being closed, because surveys are fun.

Monday

Pages read:276
Books read from: The Icarus Girl by Helen Oyeyemi and Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin
Books finished: None yet but I'm not far off finishing The Icarus Girl
#todayinsixwords: Large amounts of buses and postcards

Bookish Survey

1. How do you organise your shelves?

I have separate shelves for my nonfiction, graphic novels, children's books (the ones that are really for me because they're too old for my boys as of yet), my 'keeper' shelf (books I love so much I never want to let them leave my house!), and fiction tbr. Then the fiction is organised alphabetically, nonfiction by subject (ish) and then alphabetically within that, and graphic novels currently keep getting rummaged by everyone who visits so they're in absolutely no order at all.

2. What is one of your favourite books that's not in one of your favourite genres?

I loved The Shining by Stephen King despite really really not being a horror fan. I only read it because my book group at the time made me but oh my god, so good.

3. What is the last five star book you read?

Saga Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples. Amazing

4. What book are you most excited to read during the readathon?

Probably to finish Happier at Home or maybe Americanah as I've heard such good things!

5. What book do you recommend the most?

Either The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern or We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

Tuesday 


Pages read: 79
Books read from: The Icarus Girl and The Rehearsal by Eleanor Catton
Books finished: The Icarus Girl by Helen Oyeyemi
#todayinsixwords: Playing outside isn't conducive to reading

Today the weather was gorgeous and Rhys was only working a short shift so we decided to go into town with him and spend the day walking by the river, feeding ducks, playing in the playground and generally being outside. That obviously didn't lend itself to much reading and then when we got home after having dinner out and eventually got the boys to bed Rhys and I did some music stuff so I only read for about an hour in the evening.  I finished The Icarus Girl in the morning before we went out though and I really enjoyed it, although it wasn't comfortable reading at all. Review will be coming soon!

Wednesday & Thursday 

Pages read: about 240
Books read from: The Rehearsal by Eleanor Catton and Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin
Books finished: The Icarus Girl by Helen Oyeyemi
#todayinsixwords: lots of tv and some work.

After all the activity on Tuesday we basically stayed home on Wednesday which meant I didn't get to read much as the boys require a lot of attention! We had fun though, and then on Thursday I was at work so I read a lot but didn't get a chance to blog about it! I am absolutely adoring The Rehearsal although I'm still not 100% sure what's going on but I'm really actually looking forward to reviewing it and I haven't looked forward to review writing for aaaages, so that's good!

6 comments:

  1. I like your goals! I'm trying to visit some new blogs too. How great is the Night Circus - the visuals were stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Night Circus has been on my TBR for so long! I really need to get to that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our goals are pretty much the same! (Hi, btw!) I'm also having trouble doing the twitter chats due to my schedule, which is really disappointing, but I hope to make at least one before the read-a-thon ends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck & have lots of fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep seeing Helen Oyeyemi everywhere- I think maybe the universe is trying to tell me something...
    Best of luck this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing great so far. I've heard some amazing things about Burial Rites. Enjoy the rest of the read-a-thon and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete