Monday 4 April 2011

Maaaarch!

My reading speeds have been awful the past week, as I've been ill, and March generally has been a pretty terrible month for reviewing, but a fairly good one for reading. I am very behind on my reviews! Saying that, I have failed to finish The Three Musketeers for Allie's readalong - I got stuck somewhere around chapter 40 due to the interference of Tender is the Night. I'm also still in the process of finishing Affinity for Andi's readalong, but my slowness on this is due purely to illness, a visit home to my family, and shopping for wedding and bridesmaids dresses, rather than any problems with the book - I am really enjoying it, and hope to finish it this week.

My book buying ban is still going strong (it's been nearly 2 months!) and I'm supremely proud of myself. I've also managed to acquire a fair amount of free books this month - 7 from my fiance for our anniversary, Kelly Link's Magic for Beginners from Booksoulmates Random Acts of Kindness scheme, from the lovely Susan, and one from teadevotee for World Book Night. Still on the way to me, I've won a copy of The Handbook for Lightining Strike Survivors, from The BookLadys Blog, and have another RAK on the way. A very lucky month! :-)

I read 16 books this month, mostly due to re-reading some really short childhood favourites! These are:

  • Apple Bough  by Noel Streatfeild (bookswap)
  • When the Siren Wailed by Noel Streafeild (own)
  • The Last Hero by Terry Pratchett (library)
  • Goodnight, Beautiful by Dorothy Koomson (library)
  • The Wild by Esther Freud (library)
  • Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (library)
  • Gallery Girl by Wendy Holden (library)
  • Rapunzel by the Brothers Grimm (own)
  • A Vicarage Family  by Noel Streatfeild (library)
  • The Comfort of Saturdays by Alexander McCall Smith (library)
  • Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (library)
  • Five Go Off in a Caravan by Enid Blyton (own)
  • Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut (library)
  • The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen (library)
  • Slam by Nick Hornby (library)
  • Anastasia, At Your Service by Lois Lowry (own)
  • Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald (own)
  • Away from the Vicarage by Noel Streatfeild (library)
So that's how terrible I've been with the reviewing, I hope to catch up a bit this month! Having said that, I've got people coming this week so won't be able to post much! But should be back to normal after that.
Quick wrap up of my challenges for the first quarter and how I'm doing with those (mostly not great)....


The Canongate Myth Challenge  (1/12)
Back to the Classics 2011 (2/8)
Graphic Novel Challenge (4/11)
Historical Fiction Challenge (2/10)
Global Reading Challenge (3/14)
Gilmore Girls Reading Challenge (2/20)

At least I've made a start, and summer's on the way! Now I'm off to apply for tickets to the Olympics next year! Happy reading everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment