Tuesday 30 June 2015

Top Ten Books of 2015 So Far...

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

I've been trying to take part in Top Ten Tuesday more regularly and now that I'm actually keeping track of my reading it's much easier to take part on weeks like this! When I looked back over my spreadsheet to decide on the final ten I was surprised - I seem to have read a lot of great graphic novels and nonfiction in 2015! Maybe I'll have to change it up a bit for the second half!


Image result for drown junot diaz



Drown by Junot Diaz was one of the first books I read this year and fantastic, as I'd expected. Diaz is pretty much the master of short stories in my opinion, all of his work is worth a read!


Image result for the winter of our disconnect





The Winter of Our Disconnect by Susan Maushart I got during the Nonfiction November swap I organised last year and I really enjoyed it. It's nonfiction about a family who disconnected all of their electronic devices for three months and it makes for really intriguing reading. 

Image result for the artful parent




The Artful Parent by Jean Van't Hul. I keep going on about this, but if you have kids and are at all creatively inclined then this one's for you.







Image result for blankets graphic novel



Blankets by Craig Thompson has been on my TBR for years and I finally got around to reading it this year and it was fantastic. Another great addition to the 'graphic memoirs I love' collection.




Image result for the diviners



The Diviners by Libba Bray. I wrote about how I wasn't expecting this to be that great and then it really was. I'm excited to read the sequel later in the year!






Image result for every day book cover




Every Day by David Levithan. Again I didn't expect anything from this. I pretty much only got it out because I kept seeing it in the library and because I really enjoyed Will Grayson, Will Grayson and it was spectacular. Seriously. 


Image result for saga graphic novel



Saga by Bryan K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples was absolutely as incredible as everybody told me it was, I immediately requested my library buy the second volume which they did and now I'm biding my time until a reasonable gap has passed and I can request them buying the third volume... 



Image result for the happiness project book



The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin has been a big inspirational force over the last couple of months. I also read Happier at Home and have been listening to her podcast, Happier and they've all been very motivating and I would say have improved my (already mostly pretty good) life. 



Image result for the rehearsal book



The Rehearsal by Eleanor Catton was really surprising. I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked it up and I could easily have hated it because the style is very contrived but I just thought it was so clever. Really worth a read, particularly if you're interested in The Luminaries but terrified of its size (like me). 

Image result for throne of glass



Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas is technically a bit of a cheat as I'm obviously including the three books in this. I hate it when everybody is right about things but they were so, so right about this series! Thanks to a Ninja Swap slip up I ended up buying these for someone else who then ended up with a parcel and I got to keep them so I'm excited about that and thanks to Hanna for encouraging me to read them on several occasions. Vaguely annoyed its not a trilogy as I'd first thought though, but only because I have to wait for the next book!


So that's my top ten, so far it's looking like there will be some competition when it gets to the end of the year! Bring it on, 2015, I'm ready!



9 comments:

  1. Throne of Glass made it on my list this week too. I really need to hurry up and get Saga, I have heard nothing but great things. Happy readings :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen a lot of people on the online book community raving about how great Saga is. Maybe I should look it up. Great list! :D I also have Sarah J. Maas on my list this week. If you enjoyed her Throne of Glass series, what did you think about A Court of Thorns and Roses?

    My TTT

    Obsessive Compulsive Reader

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! Thanks for sharing. I loved the Throne of Glass series. It was fantastic. The rest all look intriguing as well.

    Here are my Top 10 for the year

    And here's a a $30 giveaway at Aamazon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for Saga and Throne of Glass! I need to give Every Day another go, I picked it up when I clearly wasn't in the mood as I only read a few pages. I think it was a ninja gift too, so I should really get onto that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'The Winter of Our Disconnect' sound like my nightmare! ;) I had dismissed 'The Rehearsal' before but I think I will add it back onto my TBR list after what you wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic list! Most of these books are on my TBR. Everyone seems to like Throne of Glass- I just need to pick it up one of these days! And I love Libba Bray's work. I just have to get on The Diviners. I'm glad you enjoyed them all. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked THE HAPPINESS PROJECT, although I've yet to read the author's other books. I need to. I also really want to read THE DIVINERS, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd thought Throne of Glass was a trilogy too, right up to the end of the third book, and I was also mildly irritated when I found out it wasn't. Still, I'm really glad you liked it - I think it's my favourite YA of all-time.

    I liked Saga too. I really need to read some more graphic novels this year.

    I really want to read Every Day and The Diviners - I don't think I've EVER read a bad review of them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really am going to have to pick up The Happiness Project. I do like her podcast a lot.

    ReplyDelete