Friday 27 January 2012

Magical March Event!





Those of you who regularly read this blog will know that one of my major goals with my reading is to continually challenge myself and push myself to read new and different genres. As a teenager I was an absolutely gigantic fan of fantasy, but lately I've not been reading as much and I miss it. Granted, this is probably due to the lack of new Neil Gaiman titles and the fact that I've read everything David Gemmell ever wrote at least three times, but still it won't do! Adam of Roof Beam Reader is hosting a Magical Realism and Fantasy event during March and I can't think of a better way to make sure I get to the titles I have listed for the Mount TBR Challenge!

There are different levels of participation. I plan to go for the Sorcerer's Class which requires me to read and review 3 -5 books during March. The books I plan to read are:

  • Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovich
  • The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Auel
  • Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke
  • The Merlin Conspiracy by Diana Wynne Jones
  • Till We Have Faces by C.S Lewis
I have some pretty heavy family stuff coming up in March, so I hope that the fantasy will provide some escapism from it all! Hopefully I will be able to get through this list and review all of them. Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell has been on my shelf a particularly long time, and after reading Clarke's The Ladies of Grace Adieu last year and loving it, I cannot wait to get to this one!

For more details and to sign up for the event (which you should totally do, go on, you know you want to!) go here! :-) 

3 comments:

  1. OH! So glad you're joining us!

    I might have to add Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell to my list (I was planning on reading it in 2012 anyway). I hear good things about The Clan of the Cave Bear as well... I've owned it for years (okay, maybe a decade by now) but still haven't read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) I've also had The Clan of the Cave Bear for ages, so it will be good to finally read it! And one of them (I think Mr. Norrell but I can't remember) is in The Ladies of Grace Adieu and I loved the little hints relating to Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.. Also my sister keeps going on at me to read it, so it will get her off my back too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been so tempted by this challenge, and I also have Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell on my shelf. That just may be a good enough reason for me to weaken and join!
    I just read Clan of the Cave Bear in the last year or two, and I really liked it. I haven't read any more of the series though.

    ReplyDelete