Wednesday 11 January 2012

The Books I Started But Didn't Finish Challenge


I have a serious problem with starting books and then never quite getting around to finishing them. It's not that the books I start are no good, it's just that I'm easily distracted by other things. Some of the books I've not finished are meant to be great, and I would feel really positive if I could finish some of them this year. Jillian at A Room of One's Own is hosting the Books I Started but Didn't Finish challenge, and I am so joining!

This is my list of the books I want to finish this year:
  • Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak - This is my definitive unfinished book. I have been reading this book since I was thirteen, and I've started again on at least three seperate occassions. I have really enjoyed what I've read and I really want to finish it this year, as it's probably the book that's been the longest on my shelf unfinished.
  • The Swan Thieves by Elisabeth Kostova - The Historian is one of my favourite books, and I was super excited to find out that Kostova had written another one. I started this book and was really enjoying it when something else (I forget what) got in the way and I never finished it. 
  • The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas - I started this as part of Allie's readalong last year, but never finished it. Again, disracted. I read about three quarters of it, though, and that was great. I'm excited to read the rest!
  • Bleak House by Charles Dickens 
There are more, I may add them to the list as the year progreses depending how all my other reading goes, but I've decided to try not to pressure myself with too much to get through in 2012. I think I'll feel happier about everything if I keep my goals manageable and am actually able to complete some of them!



2 comments:

  1. Best of luck finishing these! A lot of my listed books are unfinished because of half-completed challenges, too. I'm particularly interested in the first book you list. I hope to read it eventually, too. Enjoy your clean slate to-be! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a good idea. I hate leaving books unfinished so I do manage to get through mine (usually) but you have my full-fledged support!

    Dr Zhivago is one of those books that I've definitely heard of but have absolutely no idea what it's about.

    I adore The Three Musketeers though! It's one of my favourite all-time books :)

    ReplyDelete