Monday 21 November 2011

Mixing It Up Challenge 2012


I’m a challenge addict. I can’t help it. I am still desperately attempting to only sign up for challenges which help me read the gigantic pile of books I already own, or library books. I also want to apologise for the blog being pretty much nothing but sign up posts lately, I will post some reviews soon I promise! Anyway, here’s another. Ellie from Musings of a Bookshop Girl is hosting the Mixing it Up Challenge 2012, encouraging us to broaden the genres we read!
There are sixteen categories which are:
Classics - The Tenant of Wildfell Hall - Anne Bronte
Biography - Dear Fatty - Dawn French
Cookery, Food and Wine
History - Anything Goes - Lucy Moore
Modern Fiction - The Finkler Question - Howard Jacobson
Graphic Novels and Manga - Fun Home - Alison Bechdel
Crime and Mystery - One Good Turn  - Kate Atkinson
Horror
Romance - The Patchwork Marriage - Jane Green
Science Fiction and Fantasy - Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
Travel - Stephen Fry in America - Stephen Fry
Poetry and Drama
Journalism and Humour - I Feel Bad About My Neck and Other Thoughts on Being a Woman - Nora Ephron
Science and Natural History
Children’s and Young Adult - Percy Jackson and the Battle of the Labyrinth - Rick Riordan
Social Sciences and Philosophy - Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother - Amy Chua
There are five levels, named after baking type things, and the one I’m going to go for is the second highest: Two – Tier Cake, which means I need to read 13-15 books from the different categories. The books listed are the ones I intend to read, and as I finish them they will be linked to the reviews. Last year I decided I wanted to read more non-fiction, and managed to stockpile a fair amount of non-fiction books which I’m hoping to read for this challenge. There are no genres in this challenge that I’ve never read before, but there are a lot that I’ve not read much of.

Books in blue are the ones I've read - they will be linked to reviews when I get around to writing them!!
If you want to sign up for this challenge you can do so here.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Bex! I've stockpiled far too many non-fiction books too - I buy them because they sound fascinating, but then end up reading lots of easier fiction instead when things get busy at the shop! Hopefully I'll be able to get through a tidy pile for this challenge in 2012 and boost myself back into some more expansive reading along the way... Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One down already, yay! I'm trying to get stuck into something different right now, after a dismal month of reading in January, so hopefully I'll be able to tick a couple off myself before February is through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another two categories under your belt, congratulations! I'm looking forward to reading THE FINKLER QUESTION sometime soon - though I never managed to finish DEAR FATTY, I didn't get on well with Dawn French in book form... Hope 2012 has been a great year of reading so far! :)

    ReplyDelete