Wednesday 9 November 2011

2012 Mount TBR Challenge



Last year I wished I’d joined this challenge, and as I’m going to make my book buying ban a yearly thing now (or at least see if I can beat the 3 months I achieved last year!), it seems like a good tool to encourage this. Basically it is what it says on the tin. Hosted by My Readers Block, you pick a level and the idea is to read just books that you already owned prior to January 1st, 2012 (excluding ARCs and library books, and re-reads don’t count!). The levels are:
Pike’s Peak: 12 books from your TBR  pile
Mt. Vancouver: 25 books from your TBR pile
Mt. Ararat: 40 books from your TBR pile
Mt. Kilimanjaro: 50 books from your TBR pile
El Toro: 75 books from your TBR pile
Mt. Everest:100 books from your TBR pile
Because once you’ve signed up for a level, you must read at least that number of books, and given my failure rate on challenges this year, I’ve decided to go for Mt Vancouver, which is 25 books. I’ve actually even made a list to encourage me, although doubtless this will change, but for now, here it is!
(Books in blue are the ones I've read! Eventually they will hopefully all link up to a review!)
2012 Mount TBR Challenge Reading List
1.       Dear Fatty – Dawn French
2.       Anything Goes: A Biography of the Roaring Twenties – Lucy Moore
3.       So Many Books, So Little Time – Sara Nelson
4.       One Good Turn – Kate Atkinson
5.       Started Early, Took My Dog – Kate Atkinson
6.       Shirley – Charlotte Bronte
8.       North and South – Elizabeth Gaskell
9.       Stephen Fry in America – Stephen Fry
10.   Their Eyes Were Watching God – Zora Neale Hurston
11.   One Day – David Nicholls
12.   Bel Canto – Ann Patchett
13.   Rivers of London – Ben Aaronovich
14.   Essays in Love – Alain de Botton
15.   The Clan of the Cave Bear – Jean M. Auel
16.   Hideous Kinky – Esther Freud
17.   The Finkler Question – Howard Jacobson
18.   The Magic Toyshop – Angela Carter
19.   Fun Home – Alison Bechdel
20.   The Merlin Conspiracy –Diana Wynne Jones
21.   Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell – Susanna Clarke
22.   Norwegian Wood – Haruki Murakami
23.   The Handbook for Lightning Strike Survivors – Michelle Young – Stone
24.   The Little Stranger – Sarah Waters
25.   1602 – Neil Gaiman
Even writing this list I started thinking of loads of books I have that aren’t on it that I want to read, so the chances are that I will increase my level at some point. I’d really like to make some space in the house, so hopefully this challenge will allow me to do that. Undoubtedly I’ll go on to refill the space created with different books, but still!
Anybody else participating in this challenge? 


5 comments:

  1. Welcome, fellow mountain climber! So glad to have you join us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I'm participating :) And hurrah for Tenant of Wildfell Hall! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm doing this challenge, too! I'm going for Mt Kilimanjaro, but who knows if my class schedule will cooperate! I'm going to try for it, anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are braver than I am, as I go for Pike's Peak.
    Essays in Love is great, I loved it. You will have read that one in no time at all.

    ReplyDelete