Tuesday 4 August 2015

Top Ten Fairytale Retellings on my TBR

This week the theme for Top Ten Tuesday ties in nicely with the Fairytale Fridays post I was going to write on Friday, so instead of posting on the wrong day I'll link up to this post then!

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week is a different topic and this week the theme is Fairytale Retellings we'd like to read.

Most of these books have been on my TBR forever and I will get to them! In no particular order:

The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale has probably been on my shelf the longest of any fairytale retelling. It's a retelling of the Brothers Grimm story of the same name and it sounds great. Loads of people love it and people keep recommending it to me. I will get to it soon and feature it for Fairytale Fridays!

Beauty by Robin McKinley is another one that a lot of people have a lot of love for. Robin McKinley has a huge catalogue of fairytale retellings and I've yet to read any of them. Since Beauty & the Beast is my favourite fairytale I'll be diving into a few retellings of it pretty soon and I plan to get this in there!

Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier has been recommended to me by at least three different people and is a retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses, also a Grimm tale. It sounds like a lot of fun and hopefully is one I can get hold of through the library!

The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor has also been on my shelf for... three years? I love all things Alice in Wonderland related and my sister has been raving about this series for a while now. I really need to get to it.

Briar Rose by Jana Oliver I've actually had out of the library before but ran out of time to read it before it had to be returned. It's a retelling of the Sleeping Beauty/Briar Rose story set in the modern day. I really like modern retellings so I'm looking forward to this one.

Till We Have Faces by C.S Lewis is a retelling of the myth of Cupid and Psyche. I started reading it a while back and got distracted by something else but I'm planning to finish it soon!

The Storytellers Daughter by Cameron Dokey is a retelling of the Arabian Nights, which I've not heard of a lot of retellings of. It sounds like a fun, easy read and I'm excited for it.

Zel by Donna Jo Napoli is a retelling of the Rapunzel story. All the Goodreads reviews I've seen say that it's pretty dark so I think it might make a nice contrast to the sweetness of Tangled, the other Rapunzel retelling I've been watching a lot recently.

Fablehaven by Brandon Mull sounds a little bit like a non-graphic version of Fables, my favourite graphic novel series that I only have two volumes left of. *sobs* Fablehaven is a sanctuary for magical creatures but when powerful forces of evil are unleashed people must find the courage to do what they fear most. Sounds intriguing, right?

The Fairy-Tale Detectives by Michael Buckley is a series of books about the Sisters Grimm, descendants of the original Brothers Grimm based on the idea that the original Grimm stories are actually case files of 'magical mischief'. It sounds awesome!

I already own three of these and most of the rest I can get from the library so I really have no excuse for not reading them! I'm also reading Cinder by Marissa Meyer for Brittany's readalong at the moment and really enjoying it so far.

Links are all affiliate - if you purchase through them I will get a small percentage and be very grateful.

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore retellings of any kind - even better when it's a fairytale! I've not heard of any of these (shame on me) so I will have to look them up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg! Till We Have Faces! I haven't thought about that book in forever. That's actually a book I read in high school -- one of the only assigned-reading books I actually LOVED. Sooooo good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was really looking forward to your TTT this week, since I've been stalking your Fairytale Fridays for a while (hi!)

    And your list didn't disappoint - my TBR is growing too fast!

    Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have put off The Goose Girl on THREE different occasions. I need to knock it off. Good list! Definitely glad to see some Alice... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, I haven't heard of a lot of these - more new books for my tbr list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alice in Wonderland is my favorite! You should check out the Insanity series and the Splintered series. Both REALLY good.

    ReplyDelete