Tuesday 18 August 2015

Top Ten Auto Buy Authors

This Top Ten Tuesday topic ties in quite nicely with last weeks topic that I wanted to do and missed; the top ten authors you've read the most from, so without much further ado, in no particular order here are the ten authors on my auto-buy list.


Scarlett Thomas - you're shocked, right? Scarlett is pretty much the only author whose books I must buy on the day that they come out. I recently attended a signing for her newest book, The Seed Collectors and am still in the middle of her book about writing, Monkeys with Typewriters, which is super inspiring. I will read anything she writes, mostly because all of her books are totally different and amazing.

Neil Gaiman - Obviously. Everything that I've read it immense and amazing and although I may not read them all immediately like I do with Scarlett Thomas, I do buy them pretty much straight away and have a big collection on my keeper shelf.



Joanne Harris - I've loved Joanne Harris for a long time. The Chocolat books (Chocolat, The Lollipop Shoes, Peaches for Monsieur le Cure) are my favourites but I have read most of what she's written and although I haven't bought one of her books for a while they do automatically go onto my wishlist, which is pretty much the same thing in this year of the book buying ban!


Rainbow Rowell - Do I really need to explain this? I'm well on my way to having read all of Rainbow's books more than once and they are all so amazing that I just want to fill my house with related merchandise so I can think about them all the time. She is the best at writing love stories that don't make me feel sick.


Sarah J. Maas - A recent addition, but after reading Throne of Glass, Crown of Midnight and Heir of Fire in very quick succession a couple of months ago how could she not be on this list? Everyone else in the world has read A Court of Thorns and Roses and I really want to! I'm hoping somebody will take pity on me for Christmas because I obviously can't buy it myself!

Terry Pratchett - this makes me sad because obviously there is only one more of his books for me to auto buy but oh I definitely will be. For years the latest Pratchett was my go-to Christmas present for my dad - after this year I'm going to have to actually be creative. His death earlier this year was a massive loss for the world.

J. Courtney Sullivan - although I didn't like The Engagements as much as I did Maine and Commencement I'd still put her on this list. Maybe even more so since I reread Maine during the first Re-Readathon and it was still as amazing as I remembered!


Kirsty Logan - a recent addition, but after The Gracekeepers I will read all the things she ever publishes. What a beautiful novel.

Elizabeth Peters - Ah Elizabeth Peters. I love the Amelia Peabody series, which my mum introduced me to years ago. What's not to love about detective fiction, hilarity and Egyptology? Amazing books, and her other series aren't bad either!

Bill Willingham - Mr. Fables himself. After having loved Fables for so long now there's no chance I'm not reading everything else Willingham has ever touched. Amazing stuff.

10 comments:

  1. Great list Bex! I really enjoy Rainbow Rowell and Sarah J Maas books as well. I could have put them on my list! My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chrissi! I'm so glad I finally took everyone's advice and read Throne of Glass! Off to check out your list now :-)

      Delete
  2. Sarah J Maas will ALWAYS be on my auto-buy list because she just deliver SUCH amazing books every. single. time. *collapses in a heap fangirling* I LOVE HER SO MUCH. <3 Also I want to read more Neil Gaiman! He's on my list this week too. Here's my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you really should read more Gaiman,he's incredible! I can't believe how long I waited before reading Sarah J Maas. I'm clearly an idiot, she is amazing!

      Delete
  3. Sarah J Maas is a goddess! I haven't read as much Neil Gaiman as I would have liked too, and I'm desperate to get around to Terry Pratchett but I just keep putting him off.

    My list: http://www.teaandtitles.com/?p=184

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh don't put him off,he's amazing! The Wee Free Men is a great place to start :-)

      Delete
  4. I was sad that I couldn't automatically put Terry Pratchett on this list anymore. I love Elizabeth Peters too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth Peters is a great favorite of mine. Her Amelia Peabody series is wonderful and I love a lot of her standalone books too. Plus, I love her alter-ego, Barbara Michaels as well. I need to read more Rainbow Rowell books. I think I've only read one of them. Lots to discover on your list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just shows I don't research enough,I had no idea she wrote under other names,or that Elizabeth Peters is also a pseudonym or that she died two years ago! Technically I guess she doesn't even qualify for this list! She's still great though and I'm excited to have the Barbara Michaels books to check out now too,thanks!

      Delete