Wednesday 23 September 2015

Top Ten Books on my Autumn TBR

If you read my Top Ten Books on my Summer TBR list you will know how entirely pointless me making this list is. I read two of the books on that list. TWO. That's pathetic by anyone's standards! In my defense, the two I read (Throne of Glass - yes the first three, no I haven't read Queen of Shadows yet. Yes I want to. Shutup - and The Knife of Never Letting Go) were both mind blowingly fantastic so it's kind of as if I'd read all ten really?

Anyway! Honestly, I'd probably transfer the rest onto this list but that feels like cheating sooo instead I'm going to throw in some new stuff as well.

I am going to move Neil Gaiman's Make Good Art Speech over though because I feel like (ok I know) it will be inspiring and autumn inspiration is always a good thing. Here are my remaining nine:


Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas - the chances of me actually getting to read this before next year are small because I'm still on my book buying ban and the library holds list will be three million people long but I'm putting it on here anyway because I'm hopeful that my sister will get it and let me borrow.

Winter by Marissa Meyer - I should get to read this as I asked my library to buy it and they are currently in the process of doing so, so once it is out I should be first in line for it! I'm reading Cress at the moment and still really enjoying the series - it's just so gripping and such a cool twist on fairytales!

Fables: Happily Ever After by Bill Willingham - because it's Fables and my sister lent it to me. No more needs to be said.


The Dead Travel Fast by Deanna Raybourn - on my list for RIP, I've been intrigued by this since I got it for Halloween Ninja Swap last year and it seems autumnal.


One Summer: America 1927 by Bill Bryson - Nonfiction November will be coming up and I feel it's unacceptable to have two Bryson titles I haven't read on my shelves so I'm going to be reading this. Also I got it for Ninja Swap so it has a cool American cover with a cut out. I love U.S paperbacks - something about the paper or the binding or something. Anway, they're great!


Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham - I got this a few months back with some Waterstone's vouchers I had and I'm intrigued. Half the people I know who've read it loved it, the other half hated it. We'll see which camp I fall into!


The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon - It has a gorgeous orange cover (autumn colours) and I've had it on my shelf for such a long time! Plus it's a book about books, which I always find comforting in autumn.


The Storied Life of A.J Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin - for similar reasons including the cover colour. Plus I've just wanted to read it for ages and now that I actually have it (thanks Sarah!) I have no excuse!


Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick - We've had this since we saw Hugo when the film first came out and I still haven't read it. Rhys has and loves it and was making legitimate 'I need this book I want this book I must have this book now' faces at Selznick's new book, The Marvels in Waterstone's the other day, so obviously I've done my work well with him! I loved The Invention of Hugo Cabret and autumn feels like the right time to immerse myself in Selznick's beautiful artwork and unique storytelling style.

3 comments:

  1. Queen of Shadows was on my list this week too. I hope you enjoy it whenever you get to it.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/09/22/top-ten-tuesday-23/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill Bryson is so awesome! One of my fave nonfiction writers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Queen of Shadows is SO good. Much better than the last book. I mean, some plot aspects went in a direction that I didn't really want them to, but it's still really great :)

    I've had the Bill Bryson book for a while. I think Charlotte may have bought me it for my birthday either last year or possibly even the year before. Ouch. It does look good though.

    ReplyDelete