Thursday 15 May 2014

Bout of Books: Day 3!

Bout of Books

Yesterday was day 3 of Bout of Books and I actually finished my first book, woo! Hospital appointments meant I spent the morning going in and out of rooms (into one to have my blood pressure taken, back to the waiting room, into another to have my blood sugar taken, back to waiting room, in for a scan, back to waiting room, into another to see the diabetes team, home) but did allow me some time to get some reading done and I managed to finish Flora & Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo which is amazing and I WILL be reviewing it in the not too distant future. The rest of the day was pretty much a write-off reading wise because due to a neighbour complaining about the fact that our child makes noise and occasionally we slightly raise our voices in order to hear each other, I now feel like I can't stay in at all during the day in case Benji annoys someone, so we spent the day walking in the pretty countryside, which was lovely but knackering and didn't leave much time for anything else!  Thursday might be better as we're off to my parents house for a few days, meaning there will be a lot more people around to cuddle Ben and pay him attention :-) 

WEDNESDAY

Pages Read: 96 
Books read from: Flora & Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo
Number of books finished: 1!
Time Spent Reading: about an hour on and off

CHALLENGE

'This Made Me Think of That' hosted by My Overstuffed Bookshelves. For this challenge we have to take our current read and pair it with something. Currently I'm reading Peter Duck by Arthur Ransome which is the third book in the Swallows and Amazons series and its' obvious pairing in book terms is probably Swiss Family Robinson by Johann Wyss. Otherwise, I'd pair it with cake. Any kind of cake, but probably fruit cake would go the best. Anybody who's read the books will see how they are cake. 

3 comments:

  1. Ugh, neighbours who complain about someone daring to have a child suck. When we were little our next door neighbours were a pair of right old dragons. They never gave our ball back if it accidentally rolled into their garden, and they once complained to my mum that we were 'spying over the hedge'. We were actually playing on a climbing frame that just HAPPENED to extend a foot or so over the hedge height. A right pair of misers, those two...

    Arthur Ransome books 'are' definitely cake. And maybe pemmican (SO MUCH PEMMICAN!). Just like the Famous Five books 'are' ginger beer and boiled eggs with a twist of salt, and Malory Towers books 'are' strawberry teas with ice cream.

    Congratulations on your finished book and on using your waiting room time so wisely. I get so nervous in doctor and dentist waiting rooms that I can never read so much as a magazine article, so I'm quite jealous you can do that. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, your neighbours sound very annoying. When we rented we lived next door to this horrible couple who would have screaming matches and/or noisy sex at 3am in the morning. We never complained but then they had the cheek to complain about us for showering at 6am. Hello - some people have to go to work, it's not like I want to get up at that time! Thankfully our neighbours now are lovely.

    Hopefully everything was OK with the diabetes test....I've been lucky enough to avoid that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! Bex! I have a recipe book called "Cherry Cake and Ginger Beer" and it is ENTIRELY full of recipes inspired by classic children's literature of days gone by... including a couple of Swallows and Amazons recipes: bunloaf (a very rich fruitcake) and caraway seed cake. It is an amazing book and as soon as I saw it I had to buy it. It had recipes inspired by ALL of my favourite kids' books: Anne of Green Gables, Famous Five, even the Chalet School. :) :)

    ReplyDelete