Thursday 9 August 2012

Bout of Books Readathon!


I was first alerted to this readathon by Ellie of Musings of a Bookshop Girl, who is pretty much the queen of several day long readathons. The only readathons that I've ever participated in are Dewey's 24 hour Readathon (twice,both times in a slightly failing manner), and recently I even more spectacularly failed Sarah's Mini Readathon. I've been thinking that a longer one would be less pressured, and indeed Bout of Books claims to be totally low pressure, as all they ask you to do is to read more than you usually would. Currently, what I would usually read in a week is not a lot, so it shouldn't be too difficult to beat that! If you're interested, here is a bit of information from Bout of Books about the readathon:

The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, August 13th and runs through Sunday, August 19th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 5.0 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. -From the Bout of Books 5.0 team

I don't really have many goals for the week. Currently it's been taking me over a week to read a book, so as far as I've planned is that I want to start (and finish!):
  • Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte (I'm on such a Bronte roll at the moment having just finished The Taste of Sorrow which was amazing!)
  • I also have Three Men in New Suits by J.B Preistley, which my sister has lent me so I should probably try to get to that as well.
  • 1602 by Neil Gaiman, as it's been a while since I read a graphic novel.
  • Comment on at least 2 other blogs a day
I will plan to update this post every evening, as it seems the easiest, most consistent way to keep myself motivated! At the moment, I'm also consistently hungry so my snacks will probably also feature heavily this week. First off, I really want to bake these as they look AMAZING!

So... Here goes!!

12 comments:

  1. Good luck with your goals! Bout of Books is totally low pressure, no-one to compete with except yourself :) I hope you have a fun week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I approve of all of these things, but honestly the most important part of this post is that you've reintroduced me to Bakerella! HOW DID I FORGET HER?! *hangs head in shame* So, you know, thanks for that! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh, I loved 1602, it's really clever. And Agnes Grey was alright, but one part really grossed me out.

    I think I might have to join this Read-a-thon again - I haven't really been that interested in any of the other recent ones, but I know me and Bout of Books get along just fine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I can't work out why I've never done a week long one, since I know I fail at 'x amount of hours in a day' ones, surely it makes sense that I'd be better over a longer period of time? Fingers crossed....

      Delete
  4. Hey i'm doing this read a thon too and i'm a new follower :). I haven't read any of these books. I love the Brontë's sisters but I never read Agnes Grey. I can't wait to read your review about it !
    Happy reading and Good luck !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also participating, I had fun last time. I haven't read any of your books. I haven't read any books by the Brontë sisters (although I did just buy Villete by Charlotte Brontë and I just put Agnes Grey on my TBR list). I hope you enjoy your books :) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to read Agnes Grey as well! And those chocolate swirl biscuits you linked to look amazing. Snacks are a vital part of Bout of Books! (For me, at least!)

    Good luck with your goals! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm having a hard time finishing a book right now too, and that's not like me. It's even a book I really, really like. Hopefully I'll pull myself out of this slump by Monday! Have fun and good luck with your goals ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay Agnes Grey! I love Anne Bronte. Good luck with your goals :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you're having fun so far =D

    -Becky
    http://bookbitereviews.blogspot.com/2012/08/bout-of-books-read-thon-goalsupdates.html

    ReplyDelete