Tuesday 7 February 2012

Epic Giant Review Fail...

So here I am, once again, with one of those 'here are the reasons why I totally fail and am a suckface at keeping updated with my reviews' type posts. I have (once again) been reading a lot, but the past couple of Sundays have been spent going back and forth between Kent and London, so my regularly scheduled review writing time has gone out the window, hence why things have been a little quiet lately. 

However on the plus side I went to see my first ever ice hockey game on Sunday and it was AMAZING. As kids my siblings and I were (who am I kidding, we still are) massive fans of The Mighty Ducks movies, featuring really young Joshua Jackson with giant hair and Emilio Estevez who never aged, and I just thought ice hockey looked like the coolest sport. Due to the serious shortage of proper ice in the UK though, it took me another fifteen years or so before I managed to get to a game, and granted the Guildford Flames aren't quite on the same level as the Ducks, but you know. We do what we can with what we've got. And I think I have discovered a new love :-)

Things may be a little quiet around here in the next month or so due to some family events and also the fact that I'm currently entirely exhausted all the time for no discernable reason at all, and generally not feeling too great so I'm hoping to get myself back to full strength by snuggling in bed and reading The Chronicles of Narnia! To cheer myself up, I'm going to make a list - because I love lists - of the books I've read since my last review, and I'm not going to let it be an insurmountable pile of pressure, but more a triumphant list of achievement. Here it is:
  • The Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings (for the 50 States Challenge. I ADORED this book & have been trying to finish my review since January...)
  • The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (serious eeeeeeeeekkkkkkk!!!! Is Margaret Atwood ever not awesome?)
  • Kick Ass by Mark Millar (for the Graphic Novel Challenge)
  • Fables Volume 3: Storybook Love by Bill Willingham (for the Telling Tales Challenge and also just for awesome. Also I found out that my local comic shop has a graphic novel loyalty card where you get a stamp every time you buy a graphic novel and when you have ten stamps you get £10 off, which pretty much equates to a freeeeeeeeee book!!)
  • A Wedding in December by Anita Shreve (for the 50 States Challenge. My first Shreve although she's been staring at me accusingly from the library shelves for years now and I will most definitely be taking the proper advantage of this from now on!)
So that's it. Where I've been and what I've been doing. I'm off to Narnia now, hope you're all enjoying the snow/rain/horrible ice wherever you are!

2 comments:

  1. Totally agree with the Margaret Atwood comment. She even makes me love her poetry (not a big fan of poetry here!). However, I prefer Alias Grace to The Year of the Flood... which doesn't make it less awesome, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Alias Grace as well, but it's been so long since I read it! I've been thinking of a re-read for a while now...

    ReplyDelete