Tuesday 29 January 2013

Modern March Event


Last year I kept signing up for events and then not actually managing to participate in them. This year it's all change! I've made it through January without buying a book for myself, I'm keeping on track with my reading and already making progress with some of my challenges - I'm feeling good! Allie of A Literary Odyssey is hosting A Modern March, during which the aim is simply to read literature from the Modernist period. It's weird that I would voluntarily return to something which formed the basis of my most hated class at University, but time obviously takes its toll in weird ways and here I am! 

I have a couple of shelves where I've pulled together all the books I already own for challenges this year, and on the shelf there are definitely a couple at least which fit in with this event. Keeping my targets low, as I know my reading rate at the moment, realistically, is far from where I'd like it to be, during the event I am definitely going to hope to read The Beautiful and Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald. If I get time I might pick up Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf, which is also on my Classics Club list, Hemingways A Moveable Feast, or one of the other beautiful Fitzgerald editions I have sat on my bookshelves. I'd also like to keep up with the poetry reading goal I've set myself (which I'm already failing dismally at!) and try to read some T.S Eliot to accompany my March!

3 comments:

  1. I somehow hated Modernist literature but loved and adored the Postmodernist period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck chuck! I'll be waiting to see what you think of your choices - I haven't read ANY Fitzgerald yet (despite having at least three) or Hemingway (ditto) and it's been YEARS since I last opened a volume of Woolf. I really should get on that sometime - story of my life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm probably going to host a read-along for T.S. Eliot (The Waste Land and Other Poems), as there are quite a few of us who are participating in Modern March that list Eliot as a reading selection... could be a "double the fun" kinda thing!

    ReplyDelete