Sunday 31 July 2016

#LittleHouseRAL: Little Town on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder


That's it guys, there are officially no more books with 'Little House' or 'Prairie' in the titles! We have read them all! But obviously we haven't read all the books yet, and of course it's the last day of the month and I only finished Little Town on the Prairie two weeks ago so obviously I'm writing about it tonight. Obviously.

I'm still loving the series, and I'm really enjoying seeing Laura and Almanzo's relationship begin. I found reading about the way people got together in those days really interesting, and she was so young!! As usual I loved her hard work and dedication in this book, and I liked that there was more focus on Laura's life and school and things rather that it all being about house building and what Ma's cooking (though you know I love that too!). I don't know if I'm just enjoying this series so much because it's such a gentle immersion in a place and time I know little to nothing about, but whatever it is it is so working for me. I will be so sad when this year is over!

I have to admit that I didn't really miss Mary in this book which kind of sounds awful but even before she couldn't see she was always just in the corner being good anyway so I don't miss her all that much. I enjoyed Laura's various run ins with Nellie Oleson this month - I do find her spirit and sense of injustice a very admirable and entertaining thing, and Nellie Oleson is just far too obsessed with herself for my liking.

As usual, not a huge amount to say about the book really, except that I continue to love it. This series is so comforting and such balm for the soul in turbulent times!

My link up for August will be a day late since I have my penultimate Middlemarch post going up tomorrow!

How did you find this book?

1 comment:

  1. Ah, yes, Nellie is DEFINTELY "far too obsessed with herself"! You hit the proverbial nail on the head with that observation! :) I love how Laura did not give in to her in the schoolhouse and move. Good girl!

    ReplyDelete