Monday 11 July 2016

#EliotAlong: Chapters 15 - 28 and Link Up!



So I've had a pretty excellent week, to be honest, both in terms of life and in readalong terms. Last weekend I was in Leeds with blogger friends and then this week we had my sister and her boyfriend staying and my other sister and her fiance visited and then we spent this weekend exploring places and doing a medieval trail and visiting a theme park and taking the boys on their first carousel ride.. All of which is to say that this week there are no questions to guide you, just write what you want!

I really loved this week. From the beginning I was getting way more into the story than last week, and at one point towards the end of the section I actually nearly missed my bus stop because I was so engrossed! Lots and lots of men to love this week for me - firstly, Tertius Lydgate, coolest character name ever? I think I really like him. I definitely like how forward thinking he is. He just seems like the kind of logic-driven doctor you would want around you in life-threatening situations really, and I'm quietly enjoying watching Rosamund enact her sort of manipulative but not really marriage plan on him. It'll be interesting to see how that goes.

I also really liked Will Ladislaw this week. I thought he was going to be all grumpy and dislikeable when he was first introduced, but he's so far from it this week and I can't help loving him and feeling super sorry for him that silly Dorothea married extra boring Casaubon :-( I do feel bad for her as well now though, because although she was really naive and has absolutely no idea what marriage actually is, she's clearly now going to pay the price for that and I kind of want her to be happy.

Winning my heart forever though, despite his complete recklessness, is Fred Vincy. I love him. He's so pathetically endearing with his love of Mary Garth (who is also excellent) and although his lack of responsibility makes me mad I feel like his character has so much potential. I'm really interested to see what happens to him!

So yes, basically all about the men this week! There were women and I enjoyed their stories - the Garth family's in particular - but all the focus was on the men for me.

How was your week? Are you loving the book? Hating it? Tell me all, and link up your posts below!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you had a busy week. I would be interested to know a little about the Medieval trail.

    I am loving the book and read more than the planned chapters. I worried maybe half way through that more and more characters are going to make it hard to remember them all, but that's not really an issue.

    Like you I noticed there was a lot of 'male time' in this section. And yes, what conflict is Ladislaw going to pose for Dorothea? And yes again for Lydgate! I am finding him fascinating. (As an aside when I saw his name, Tertius Lydgate, it sounded like a name out of a Harry Potter novel)!

    More notes here: https://relevantobscurity.com/book-lists/eliot-along-2016/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got properly sucked in this week too- I don't know what it is that's so absorbing! I think it's the impending drama that we all know is coming. Rosamund's plotting is only going to get worse before it gets better, I'm sure... And it's been great to get to know Ladislaw and Lydgate better :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'The quickest of us walk about well wadded with stupidity'

    I've just finished week 2. Somehow the scene that stuck with me is the committee discussion around appointing a new doctor, with Lydgate choosing political expediency over his emotions. Hmm, may be a bad sign.
    I listened to the audiobook during commute for Week 2, but much prefer reading as I have better recall, especially for character names. Have to pause the audio to jot down quotes as well!
    Lauren @ltulip

    ReplyDelete