Thursday 20 December 2012

2013 Graphic Novel Challenge

This is my favourite challenge, and although I'm trying to participate in new challenges in 2013, this has to be the exception to the rule. It's the only challenge I've completed both of the past two years and there are some slight changes to the rules for 2013 which make it even more exciting. Also, a huge reason for participating in this is that it gives me a brilliant excuse to buy graphic novels, and yes, I know I'm on a book buying ban next year, but it's not as impressive if I succeed if I don't give myself temptations to overcome, right?

Anyway, so far there's not a button for this yet, but the post about it is here

I'm going to go for level 1, which is to read 12 books, 1 per month. I probably could sign up for level 2 (24), but I don't want to give myself too much to do bearing in mind I'll still have a lot of Benji looking after to do! I am however going to attempt the Advanced level of gameplay. This means that I have to read a graphic novel from each of the following categories, and should fit in nicely with my constant efforts to broaden my reading!

The Categories:
1. Manga - whichever volume of the Deathnote series it was that I got up to... Will need to consult with my sister on this!
2. Superhero - Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller
3.Classic Adaptation - The Rhyme of the Modern Mariner
4. Memoir - Maus by Art Spiegelman
5. Fantasy - Castle Waiting by Linda Medley & Jane Yolen
6. Translated from a Foreign Language - Embroideries by Marjane Satrapi
7. A Single - Issue Comic Book
8. Science-Fiction
9. Crime or Mystery
10. Fairytale or Mythology - Fables Volume 8: Wolves by Bill Willingham
11. Children's Books
12. Anthology 

These are just to start me off, I'll fill in the rest of the blanks as the year progresses!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back to the challenge Bex! Those sound like some great books. I'm a big fan of both Fables and Deathnote!

    ReplyDelete