Saturday 22 September 2012

Inbox/Outbox September 22nd

This is entirely stolen from Bookriot. They want us to tell them about what we've received and what we've finished in the previous week, and I would've done it in the comments like everybody else but I wanted to ramble and put in pictures so I thought better to do it here and bore everybody with it!

Inbox

Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke - Sent to me by the wonderful Ellie, who is the best at ninja RAK ever. I've wanted to read this for years purely because Whoopi Goldberg recommends it to Lauryn Hill in Sister Act 2. Yes, I am that suggestible. It's teeny tiny and I'm really excited to read it!

Love Anthony by Lisa Genova - I read Still Alice by Lisa Genova a while back and really enjoyed it. I also am really interested in books about autism, as both my mother and I used to work with children with autism a lot and so I find it a fascinating subject. I was sent this by Ally from Simon and Schuster yesterday and I'm already 3/4 through it. It's beautiful.

The Hours by Michael Cunningham - I talked about how I was going to get this because of what Laura said about it earlier this week, and I immediately went and swapped for it through Readitswapit. I'm quite excited about it, and I'm also thinking I should probably watch the movie as well..







Outbox

I have finished a grand total of nothing this week....

In the Queue

I'm currently in the middle of a fair amount of books. Probably more than I've read at one time for quite a while:

The BFG by Roald Dahl which I started reading for Roald Dahl Day and have (of course) managed to get distracted from despite its' awesomeness. I'd forgotten just how great it is and there is no excuse I can offer for it having taken me over a week to get nearly to the end...


Continuing the Roald Dahl theme, I've also been reading
Storyteller: a Life of Roald Dahl by Donald Sturrock, which is brilliant but has fallen victim to my whole 'non-fiction books take me at least a month to finish regardless of how much I love them' thing. I'm trying to keep up with it though as I'd really like to finish it, and it is realy interesting.

Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe which I am actually really enjoying (probably unsurprising seeing as how I have a deep and enduring love of 'stranded on a desert island' stories, especially The Swiss Family Robinson, which honestly this reminds me a bit of) but not getting very far with, mostly because I refuse to stop starting other books.

The Marvelous Land of Oz by L. Frank Baum is on my list for The Classics Club and I have it as an audiobook so I started listening to it this week. To be honest though, this is one that I will probably save for once the baby comes as I will hopefully listen to it and some of the rest of the series during those night time feeds!


And then finally Love Anthony which I will hopefully finish today!




Anybody else done better than me at finishing stuff this week?

2 comments:

  1. Aaah, the BFG! I think that was the first Roald Dahl I ever read... though obviously being a mad reader my deep and enduring love remains with Matilda. Also, is it wrong that I totally fancied Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka? :)

    Now I just need to read Storyteller, which Hanna sent me for my b'day... in May... I am USELESS at this 'reading books in a timely manner' thing.

    P.S. I j'adored Robinson Crusoe for the same reason, and can't wait to read Swiss Family Robinson. I had a kids version when I was little that I LOVED, so I reckon it's time to have a read of the grown-up version. If you like desert island stories you might try On the Island by Tracey Garvis Graves - I just read it and it's deeply romantic but also has a really interesting modern-survival-with-gritty-bits angle to it. I loved it! Like Lost without the demonic occurrences. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yessssssss to spurious reasons for reading books! Like 'oh, they mentioned that in The Babysitters Club? I'd better get it out of the library!' (I mean, that's what I used to do. Ahem.)

    I'm in the middle of 4 books at the moment (actually more than 4, but there's a few I've given up on for a while!) and I'm like GAAAAAH, why can't I just finish a book?! Probably because I keep reading a chapter of one, and then a chapter of another... Sigh. Such a hard life I have!

    ReplyDelete