Monday 30 July 2012

Mini Readathon Wrap up Post


I'm doing the wrap up post for this readathon, even though I barely participated. I do really love the button for it though - so cute and summery and BEES! My sisters and I had this thing for a while where we threw bees at each other whenever we were pretending to be annoyed... I think it was from one of the Robin Hood movies. I can never remember the full stories behind these things, though, and just end up looking mad...Anyway! Moving along, here are the wrap up questions!

1. How many books and/or pages were you able to read? 
Pathetically, I read about 50 pages of The Taste of Sorrow, and 10 of Yes Man by Danny Wallace. Even after I said I was going to start reading, I got distracted by Olympic swimming (yay, Rebecca Adlington!), so I really didn't get as much done as I wanted, but such is life.
2. About how many hours were you able to read for? (Were there many distractions, breaks, etc?)
I would say that in the end I only really read for approximately 4 hours. There were ALL THE DISTRACTIONS.. house cleaning, Olympics watching, dinner making, sleeping....
3. Do you have any likes/dislikes about the 12-hour readathon, compared to a 24-hour readathon?
If I'd remembered to start earlier in the day 12 hours would have been perfect I think. I really struggle with the 24 hour one although it is great, I would love to try the 12 hours again, hopefully with more success next time!
4. Favorite and least favorite books that you read today? Favorite / least favorite challenges? (Not that there were many, but if you want to comment about any of the ones from past mini-readathons feel free to do so).
I really like The Taste of Sorrow. I did have to stop reading it last night because it was depressing me, but in its' defence, it is about the Bronte's, and their story is pretty sad which I knew before I started. I'm having a bit of a hard time with Yes Man, which is weird because I love Danny Wallace but this one just isn't grabbing me like some of his others have. 
5. Do you have any suggestions for things you’d like me to do differently for the next mini-readathon?
It all seemed pretty great to me! :-) 


Despite my enormous failure in this readathon, it has had the great effect of making me inspired to participate in more readathons, which is something I'm always meaning to do but then I feel bad about neglecting my husband (who says he doesn't mind, especially at the moment, because it means he gets to watch more football/play Fifa on the Wii without anybody whinging at him that it's boring...), so I don't. BUT Ellie tweeted about the Bout of Books Readathon this morning, which is a week long, so I'm going to give that one a go I think!

6 comments:

  1. I'm reading The Taste of Sorrow! (Slowly.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh what do you think so far? I love it, but it's so sad!

      Delete
  2. Oh, yay for Bout of Books! I was hoping a few of my bestest bloggy friends would sign up so I have lots of people to stalk when I'm meant to be reading... ;)

    I think 60 pages is pretty darn good for a busy day, actually, particularly when you forgot until the last minute! I haven't managed 60 pages a day this Olympic Read-a-thon yet, hehe. I've been surgically attached to the hoover for the last two evenings... I'm hoping I like YES, MAN more than you are so far though, I've been really looking forward to that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep I will admit the stalking when meant to be reading is kind of why I signed up... I always read your readathon posts anyways so I figured I might as well join in with the procrastination! Also I've found a really awesome chocolate swirl biscuit recipe I want to try out and readathon seems like a perfect excuse!

    Why so much cleaning?? Cleaning sucks! I'm doing tons at the moment because hubby has a few days off and we need to sort out for baby...Also with Yes, Man, it's not that it isn't good - it is, and funny, just not as... I don't know, difficult to put down as some of his others? Not sure if that makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, makes total sense! Just as good, but not quite as compelling... right?

      We had a house viewing this morning, hence the cleaning after work the last two nights. It was their second viewing and they seem keen AND want to move quickly, so we wanted to be sure the second visit lived up to their first! Sadly to my sister this means 'flicking a duster around for three seconds then sodding off out for the day', and to my stepdad it means 'cut the lawn then come inside and watch the Olympics', so Mum and I had to do it all ourselves! :(

      ANYWAY, I now have three days off - our regular day off tomorrow, plus two while the town show is on (show folk don't shop, and other people don't want to run the Show Traffic Gauntlet) - so I have THREE DAYS OF AWESOME READING AND EATING JUNK FOOD! IN PYJAMAS! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you could join! I understand about being distracted, I was too BIG TIME lol. Thanks for participating!!

    ReplyDelete