Tuesday, 18 February 2014
Top Ten Tuesday: Reasons I Love Being a Reader/Book Blogger
I love the topic for this week, and although I don't always take part in Top Ten Tuesday I couldn't resist making a list for this topic!
In case you're not aware, Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the lovely ladies of The Broke and the Bookish. Each week we make a top ten list based around a different bookish theme and it's a great way to find new blogs and be inspired!
There are a LOT of reasons I love being a reader, and a lot of reasons I love being a book blogger, so getting them down to ten could be tough... Here goes!
1. I love being a reader because it doesn't matter where I am or what I'm doing, reading transports me. I can be alone, miles from home, having the worst day ever and I know that if I have the right book with me, it will help me and comfort me almost as much as having a friend or family member there could. And if that sounds lame, I don't care because...
2. I love being a reader because it's my thing. Everybody who's known me a while know that I read a lot and own a ridiculous amount of unread books. They've started coming to me for recommendations and I love it :-)
3. I love being a reader because it makes me smarter. I've lost count of the amount of times I've been able to answer pub quiz questions or spout obscure facts that I've read somewhere. Obviously, it's the important things in life :-p
4. I love being a reader because I love the possibilities. I collect books like some people collect art or whatever. I love the feeling of finding a new book to read and looking through my shelves and seeing all the things I could possibly read if I wanted to, and
5. I love being a reader because I love that I'm creating possibilities for other people. There is nothing I love more than people coming to my house and looking through my shelves and finding things they want to read that they had no idea even existed.
6. I love being a reader because I love sharing my love of books with my son. It's amazing to me to see how his own love of stories is growing daily. He sits and 'reads' his books by himself now, turning the pages and everything, and brings me his favourites to read to him. At the moment he giggles from start to finish of Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy and adores We're Going on a Bear Hunt.
7. I love being a book blogger because I love having a space to talk about books, where nobody judges me for being a huge geek and getting really over-involved in the storyline and talking about characters as if they were real.
8. I love being a book blogger because I have met some of my favourite people through blogging, and I never expected that to happen.
9. I love being a book blogger because it's allowed me a space to create some brilliant things, most recently the Ninja Book Swap! Although Hanna and I are still sorting out a few issues this latest one has thrown up, it's been an amazing success so far and it just makes me so happy that there are such lovely people in the world who want to send complete strangers pretty parcels.
10. I love being a book blogger because I'm totally socially awkward and through the internet I'm able to talk to people (publishers, authors etc) who I would never normally think of approaching, and engage with other book bloggers with way more confidence than I would face to face.