Monday 7 March 2011

The Sunday Salon (a day late) – Feeling Displaced...


Sunday Salon is actually my favourite part of the week, blogwise. I’m annoyed that I can’t participate on a Sunday, due to library closure, and thus not being able to access the internet, so here it is, a day late!
Lately lots of people have been posting about being stuck in ruts, or feeling like blogging and reading are becoming a chore instead of being fun. While blogging is still huge fun for me, I am having (yet another) moment where I’m feeling really unsettled, both with reading, and in my personal life. We relocated to another part of the country in December, and for the first time in my life, I’m not living around the corner from my family. Also, outside of work, I’ve not yet met a lot of people, so I think that’s a big part of the uneasy kind of feeling I’ve been having lately. It’s kind of a ‘there’s loads of things I should be doing, but I don’t really want to do any of them’ sort of thing...
Reading wise, my concentration levels have been totally rubbish lately. I’ve got about six books on the go, and have been having a hard time getting into any of them. Excepting The Three Musketeers, which I was expecting to find really difficult, but am actually really loving. I’m only reading two chapters a day of it,though, so I don’t know that it really counts.
I read a great short story  yesterday (thanks to fatbooks.org!) and I’m thinking that maybe now’s the time to do a bit of short story, essay, and poetry reading, just to get my head back in the zone. I think I might have taken on a bit too much....
Having said that, I’ve started another challenge, to read more plays. Lists and details will be on their way later this week, along with my first Fairytale Feature!
Some of my reviews are going up on Goodreads at the moment, rather than here, to limit double posting. This is mostly for the stuff that I feel is a ‘lighter read’. Like Lauren Oliver’s Before I Fall, which I absolutely LOVED! (she’s coming to my local library in a couple of weeks, how excited am I????!)
Also this week, the first World Book Night in the UK. A million books were given away by booklovers throughout the UK, and I got one! Courtesy of the lovely Lyndsey @ teadevotee, I am now the proud owner of The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. The whole idea behind the night is that you read the book and then pass it on, which I will probably do via a giveaway on this blog, so watch out!
All in all, a pretty good week last week! Hoping for a better one (and some loss of the unsettled feeling please!) this week.
Hope everyone had a great World Book Day!!

1 comment:

  1. oh man, i wrote this on my blog - but again, i'm so happy you liked that story. i'm feeling the same as you in terms of wanting to read more short stories right now...i'm reading "three musketeers" too and enjoying it a lot more than i expected to, but i'm also looking at how long it is (i've only read three chapters, i think) and thinking, "oh man, oh man, i need something shorter than this."

    i wonder if all this blog burnout is something to do with it getting closer to spring. i'm starting to feel the same way as so many other bloggers, and i think for me it has something to do with it being sunnier longer (even if it still freezing), and not wanting to sit around on the computer all day. though i've always been reading a lot more, so that's probably actually NOT what this is about...

    -- ellen

    ReplyDelete