Tuesday 29 March 2011

Affinity Readalong: Post 1

I'm reading this book as part of Andi's Affinity Readalong
Because I signed up for the Classics Circuit Lost Generation Tour, and got all absorbed in Tender is the Night, I didn't think I'd finish the first two parts of Affinity in time - I still hadn't started it by Friday night, and had to work all day Saturday! But it says a lot for the characters and atmosphere Sarah Waters has created, that I've not only hit the deadline, but can't wait to find out more!

I've had this book on my shelf for around 3 years. I read The Night Watch, fell in love with it, bought this, and never read it, until now. So far, I'm in love with it! It took a little while to get into it, because at the beginning, it's very jumpy, and it isn't always easy to tell who is talking. Also, the beginning is full of references and allusions to events, without really explaining anything, but after Margaret Prior started to visit Selina Dawes, it really started to become engrossing.

I love the prison setting, and it's really interesting to find out the kinds of things people would be sent to prison for in this period (4 years for procuring an abortion...?!). Also, it reminds me (in tone, and content) a lot of many of Sarah Rayne's books, which I adore. At the moment, I'm most interested to find out how much of the spiritualism side of things, is actually just tricks, and the details of what happened to get Selina put in jail. I'm also keen to know Margaret's story in full, rather than as hints and mystery. At the moment, I'm concentrating so much more on the story, so I'll be able to comment much more fully on the style, and dissect the book more, when I finish, which will probably be in about a day! This book is awesome!!

2 comments:

  1. I was very confused in the beginning as well...and am still confused at times ;) I have to remind myself who is talking and how the timeframes fit together constantly...I'm sure it will all make much better sense when we get to the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really enjoying the book as well! I love the atmosphere of the book and find the prison setting a bit creepy. I can't wait to see what happens next!

    ReplyDelete