Sunday 28 December 2014

#yearofmaking

Some of you will know I'm a fan of craft in all its forms. Being a child of the 90s, primarily things involving cardboard and PVA glue (and obviously cardboard tubes, leftover yoghurt pots and egg cartons) but also knitting and occasional sewing, plus I got quilting supplies last Christmas that I have yet to use. In pursuit of developing all the things I want to make into things I've actually made, I discovered the #yearofmaking hashtag on twitter and decided to jump in!

The original idea for #yearofmaking came from Miriam Felton back in 2013. Since then she's been joined by a fair amount of other people, all of whom have committed to making something every day for 365 days. It doesn't have to be a big thing or even a complete one but I'm hoping it will inspire me to buy less stuff and make the most of what I have already, as well as finally completing some of the beautiful projects in my Ravelry library or on any of my (many many) Pinterest boards!

Because I am generally excitable and have to start things the minute I think of them, I've already begun my year, making today the first day. I haven't yet decided if that means I will finish on December 28th 2015 or go until New Years Eve next year. I suspect that I might just carry on for the forseeable future! Technically I've made two things today, but one of them will be finished tomorrow so I'll tweet it then. If you'd like to keep up with my projects for this (and all the other participants!) check out the hashtag or follow me on twitter

Today's make came about due to the fact that I was tidying the house after getting back from my parents for Christmas, and came across a stray shoebox from Rhys' new shoes. Of course, as a Pinterest addict, this led to me searching for 'things to make from a shoebox' and discovering the genius concept of glueing a load of toilet paper rolls inside the shoebox and using it as storage for all the boys pens, pencils, crayons, paint etc. Honestly, trying to fit in all the new crafty bits Ben got this Christmas I discovered just how many pots of art supplies we have, so this was necessary! 

Due to phone failure and twitter not letting me steal my own photos, you'll have to go over there to see a picture of my first make. I will update this post tomorrow with an actual photo of it finished though, as when I tweeted I hadn't found the other bag of cardboard tubes and at the moment the glue is still drying, so once it's fully functional I will photograph it in all its' cardboard-and-decorated-by-a-two-year-old beauty and post it here for the world to see! 

If you're interested in taking part, you can get an ebook with loads of ideas and event printable worksheets here, or you can just geek out with me about it!

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, blog revamp! Pretty :) Sorry if it's already old news - I normally read on my phone and I'm using the laptop for a change so I've just seen it!

    I really like the idea of focusing on making things - I tend to cook everything from scratch anyway but I'm devoid of any other creative skills! I'd like to learn to sew, I think, because I like the idea of just being able to pick up adorable fabrics and making something but I fear I shan't be very gifted in the needle department! We'll see. My mum's great at sewing so maybe she'll teach m! Make sure you share pictures of the stuff you make - I like to have a reason to be envious of others' skills :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's new, I just got sick of how dark and difficult to see everything was, I was literally on the laptop mumbling 'must have more white' to myself :-p

      I cook a lot as well but I'm trying to motivate myself to make more and buy less this year because I buy sooooo much (she says, while starting an email to Hanna about the next Ninja Swap) so I'm going to attempt to like make a quilt and jumpers and other stuff. My knitting usually is little projects like toys and my sewing skills are also basically non existent so it should be interesting! I'm planning to post at least monthly on what I've made :-)

      Delete
  2. Though I'm not the crafty type, I will geek out with you because I appreciate those who have the eye and creativity to do it! I've resolved to draw every day instead... does that count as 1 #yearofmaking drawings? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the idea of this!!! I look forward to seeing what else you create. I'm currently busy on handsewing a quilt but I should be done with that and will need something else to keep my hands busy. :)

    ReplyDelete