Tuesday 20 January 2015

Top Ten Graphic Novels I Can't Wait to Read


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish where we list ten bookish things around a theme. The theme is different each week and this week is a freebie! I've been working on a post about the Panels Read Harder Challenge which is taking forever because I have soooo much I want to say about comics and graphic novels and so I thought kind of as a teaser for that (and because I don't think I ever have), I'd list the top ten graphic novels I can't wait to read. Here goes!

1. Castle Waiting by Linda Medley   I don't remember where the original recommendation came from but I'm pretty sure it was somewhere in the blogosphere. Castle Waiting has been on my wishlist for years and since I sneakily managed to slightly trick Rhys into buying it when we were in Foyles a few weeks ago, it's got to be number one on the list!

2. Peter Panzerfaust: The Great Escape by Kurtis J. Wiebe   a friend from work told me about this a while ago (like, over 9 months, the last time I was actually at work) and I immediately added it to my mental tbr. Peter Pan as a Resistance fighter in Occupied France? Yes please! 

3. Saga by Brian K. Vaughan   Pretty much just because I've been seeing it everywhere around the blogosphere lately.. Incidentally, I really dislike the word blogosphere. Not sure why, it just seems.... really pretentious. Anyway! It's also been following me every time I've been to a comic book shop recently. Must actually get hold of the first volume and see what the fuss is about. 

4. Fairest by Bill Willingham  I'm still in the midst of Willingham's Fables series - basically every fairytale character you could imagine put in the context of our world and often with huge twists on the stories we know and love. Fairest is his new series, focusing purely on the female fables. What's not to love? 

5. Blankets by Craig Thompson  This is actually likely to be the next graphic novel I read as it's on its way into my library. Again, it's been on my wishlist since just after I read Persepolis I think and I'm excited. 

6. Burma Chronicles by Guy Delisle  A travelogue about Delisle's time in Burma with his family, this sounds fascinating and has the added advantages of being nonfiction, about a country I know little to nothing about, and not originally written in English. Ticking all the boxes here!

7. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore  The appearance of this book on his list is a little bit fortuitous (it was 50p at a car boot sale), a little bit being made to feel inadequate about the amount of Alan Moore I've read (my brother and the Comics exhibition we went to a while back at the British Library). I know Alan Moore is amazing and yet I still don't go out of my way to seek out more. Foolish girl, this must be rectified! 

8. Supurbia by Grace Randolph  I keep seeing this around as 'the Desperate Housewives of superheroes' and although I hate to admit it I did, for a while, have a little bit of an addiction to Desperate Housewives...

9. Ms. Marvel by G. Willow Wilson Again, I've been hearing about this one everywhere and in all honesty it does sound incredible! I've been seriously lax about my superhero comic book reading and I plan to change that this year! 

10. The Invisibles by Grant Morrison   I only discovered that this was a thing when researching for the Read Harder challenge but it sounds intriguing! 

Because I'm trying as hard as I can to stay away from Amazon and all the people they own (no, it's not easy and I'm not always succeeding!) links go to reviews by other bloggers. Where there are no links you'll just have to google for yourselves! :-) 

So that's my list, I know there are loads of others I need to read! What are your favourites? I'm always looking for recommendations!

3 comments:

  1. Saga is very high on my tbr - it sounds fantastic!

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to start on Saga and Ms Marvel too - I've heard amazing things about both - and I also have Maus still on my TBR.

    Incidentally, I never know what to say OTHER than 'blogosphere', I quite like it as a term. A bit like BookTube denotes people talking about books on YouTube, it just seems like a handy way to talk about our particular blogging bubble. Everyone immediately knows what you're talking about, and it sounds more inclusive and engaged than 'other book blogs'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Saga and Ms Marvel!

    If you do read Saga, you should probably be aware (if you aren't already) that it has some very explicit sex scenes etc in it which might invite some awkward questions from any children who might happen to be around, hehe.

    ReplyDelete