Thursday 18 July 2013

The Weekly List: A Levels Part 2


This is part two of my recommended reading for A levels. I forget where I found this now, but it's from a school in the UK and it's their 'wider reading for A Levels' list.

1.       Things Fall Apart – Chinua Achebe*

2.       Watership Down – Richard Adams

3.       Behind the Scenes at the Museum – Kate Atkinson

4.       Five People You Meet in Heaven – Mitch Albom

5.       House of Spirits – Isabel Allende

6.       London Fields – Martin Amis

7.       Anything by Isaac Assimov

8.       The Handmaid’s Tale*, Cat’s Eye, Alias Grace* – Margaret Atwood

9.       Anything by Jane Austen*

10.   Complicity – Iain Banks

11.   Anything by Pat Barker

12.   Captain Corelli’s Mandolin – Louis de Bernieres

13.   Room at the Top – John Braine

14.   Jane Eyre – Charlotte Bronte

15.   Wuthering Heights – Emily Bronte*

16.   Hotel du Lac – Anita Brookner

17.   A Clockwork Orange – Anthony Burgess

18.   Possession – A.S Byatt

19.   Wise Children – Angela Carter

20.   Anything by Wilkie Collins

21.   The Heart of Darkness*, The Secret Agent – Joseph Conrad

22.   Anything by Charles Dickens
 
23. Paddy Clarke, Ha Ha Ha - Roddy Doyle
 
      24.   The Millstone, The Garrick Year – Margaret Drabble

25.   Jamaica Inn, Rebecca* – Daphne du Maurier

26.   The Siege – Helen Dunmore
 
27. Anything by George Eliot
 
28.   As I Lay Dying – William Faulkner

29.   Birdsong – Sebastian Faulks*

30.   The Great Gatsby – F. Scott Fitzgerald*
Those in bold are books I've read, and those with stars by them also appeared on my list from last week. There are some on this list which, to be honest, I wouldn't personally recommend. I read Paddy Clarke, Ha Ha Ha when I was in a book club in college and really hated it. And I don't get along at all well with George Eliot (except Silas Marner which I read when I was 15 and loved, weirdly) but aside from that it's an interesting list. There are a few (The Seige, The Garrick Year, Room at the Top) which I'd actually never heard of, so that's always interesting. Personally, I like my list better, but that might just be because it has, like, 60 books on it...

Next week, books to boost your mood!

3 comments:

  1. Woah, wait, hold up a minute- you haven't read anything by Wilkie Collins? WHAT?! This needs to change, like, yesterday. I demand you read The Woman in White!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah somehow I just didn't see Wilkie on the list! Dont worry I have read The Woman in White and it was awesome. I also saw the musical, which was somewhat less than awesome...

      Delete
  2. I love lists! Keep it up! I'm especially looking forward to the "boost your mood" list, because a happy and optimistic book for the summer would be good right now.

    ReplyDelete