Wednesday 3 April 2013

April TBR



I feel like I'm kind of setting myself up for failure by doing this, but I really love the whole list making, goal setting aspect of it so I will continue. Here's my (total failure) picture from March: 

Basically, I finished two books. The Library Book I was really close to finishing but I had to take it back to the library as I'd renewed it like... four times? and they really wanted it back. I seriously have no idea why it took me so long, but I figured that now I have an excuse to go buy it which is good as it supports The Reading Agency, so it all works out for the best, really. Also, the only reason I didn't read The Treasure Seekers was cos I lost it. I really have no clue how as it must be somewhere in my house but for the life of me I cannot find it, so I gave up on it and started The Railway Children instead, which you will see appears in my picture for April! I've only managed to actually review Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, as ages has gone by since I read Cleaving and although I liked it, I didn't love it enough for details to stay in my head in such a way that enables the writing of a review. I really need to come up with some kind of note taking system...



From April's pile you might be able to tell that I'm on a bit of an environmenty/self-sufficiency/growing stuff kind of kick at the moment. I'm two thirds of the way through Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver and it's really having an impact on me. I won't say much more as the review of it is going to be really fun to write! 
Because my photography's shocking, here's what's in the pile:
  • The Railway Children by E. Nesbit - about a quarter through this already and I love it just as much as I did as a child. One of my favourite things as a child was the description of Phyllis 'who was extremely well-meaning'. I have no idea why I liked it so much but it still makes me giggle to this day, and even more so in the film. (The original with Bernard Cribbens and Jenny Agutter as Bobbie. Not the horrible travesty they made a few years back with her as the mother. Urgh)
  • Mystery in the Minster by Susanna Gregory - this is the latest in the Matthew Bartholomew chronicles - a series of murder mysteries set in Cambridge in the 1300s.  This is my mum's and that's pretty much the reason I'm still reading the series. The books are all very similar but the writing's pretty good and they're enjoyable even if only for the historical aspects. Also, the characters are pretty great, and my  mum passes them on to me after she and my Grandma have read them, so that's nice. 
  • Embroideries by Marjane Satrapi - I'm a little bit wary of this as I loved Persepolis so much a couple of years back and have heard mixed things about Embroideries. I guess if I don't try it I'll never know, though.
  • Bluestockings: the Remarkable Story of the First women to Fight for an Education by Jane Robinson
  • No Impact Man: Saving the Planet One Family at a Time by Colin Beavan
  • The Innocents by Francesca Segal is the Mumsnet Book Club choice for April and there were no free copies left, so I ordered it in to the library. Now I just have to read it before the end of the month...
  • Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver - seriously the best thing ever right now. More will follow. 
  • Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer I got from the library because it seemed along similar lines to Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, and I'm so into that right now. Also I had some vague memories of Laura saying it was good a while back, which is usually a good sign!
Massively optimistic, as usual, but at least I've got a good start on a couple of them! I'm also expecting Fables Vol. 9 into the library, so there'll be that too. 


6 comments:

  1. March wasn't a failure, crazy lady! Three of your planned books, plus starting another three (one of which you made a decent way into) is most definitely not failing.

    I read Eating Animals last year when I was on my library kick. You know, BEFORE my own TBR pile started taking over my life. I think remember liking it although it seemed to be aimed at an American audience.

    I've seen Bluestocking before too, but a couple of years back. I think it was on my wishlist for a while actually, but it must have been pushed aside. It's a book eat book world out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Hanna - how that can possibly constitute a failure for March?! You've got a young baby and you're crafting for England, but you've read way more than me, ha! :P

    I am very excited to see what you think of some of your latest batch! I've got 'No Impact Man' out of the library right now, though it's along a similar vein to my current read, 'The Moneyless Man', so I might read something else in between. 'Bluestockings' is on Mount TBR (isn't everything?) and both 'Eating Animals' and 'Animal, Vegetable, Miraacle' are on my wishlist. You can be my 'better life' buffer zone, tell me what to read first! Then when we're done reading, the two of us and Laura can open that self-sufficient mini-commune we keep talking about... :)

    Okay, you've inspired me to read on instead of sitting here like a lemon! ALL THE BOOKS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comuuuuuuune! Oh, this is going to be so gooooood :)

      Delete
  3. March wasn't bad! You did pretty good, I've definitely done worse in the past :-p

    I really need to read that Kingsolver book sometime soon. I have it on my shelf, just waiting for me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I DID like Eating Animals! (The book that is. Although, yeah, I did like eating animals too...) Hanna is right about the American audience thing, but 1) I really think I'm American so it's not even a thing that I notice haha and 2) there's a little foreword that's like 'yeah, all these farms are in America, but THIS SHIT HAPPENS EVERYWHERE.' So it's all relevant. Also it's waaaaay better written than non-fiction has to be or ever is. Love it.

    I also want to read the Kingsolver book, and and and I bought The Railway Children when I was in Yorkshire (!) and went to a station on the same line as the one they used in the movie (!!!) (obvs the good one. As opposed to the terrible one) and had to buy the book there! But the POINT is that I should almost definitely read it soon because you've reminded me of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. March was good. I think a month is only a failure if you don't read anything at all. Like not even a sentence. Is that possible for bookish people?

    I've heard of the last two titles on your list but I haven't read any of them. I wish you luck for April!

    ReplyDelete