Monday 27 August 2012

Baby Rant

I know I promised that I wouldn't let the blog become baby - central, and I'm doing my best not to but as the weeks go by it becomes more and more difficult. Not that I'm not reading - I am, but as I said in my last post I'm finding it difficult to focus my attention for long enough to write actual reviews at the moment. I'm now into my 34th week which means that if he's born on time I have a little less than 6 weeks to go, and it being a bank holiday today Rhys & I decided we should do what we've been meaning to do for about three months and switch the rooms around. All very boring but basically our bedroom is too small to fit a cot in at the moment and so we needed to move our bed into the spare room, so that what is currently our bedroom will become the baby's playroom (for the first six months) and bedroom (thereafter). 

We've been going since about 10a.m and along the way I decided that we needed to have a 'proper clean', as it's not something either of us is very regular at, so as we've been moving things I've been hoovering, cleaning skirting boards, deep cleansing rugs and generally giving everything a wipe down. I've now been made to 'go and have a rest' in the only room not containing the fumes of either the glue gun (Rhys is lining and fixing up my old toy box that my mum gave us), or deep cleanser for carpets (we were given a lovely rug for the baby's room but it wasn't that clean, so it had to be done!), and in the room I'm in, I can't sit on the bed because I decided it would be a good idea to clean the mattress and it's still damp, so I'm perched on the piano stool... All of these are things you are definitely supposed to be doing when you're pregnant.... 

Anyway, so the way that I'm justifying posting this - other than that I just needed to rant a bit about how much there is to get done! - is that I'm having problems with the relocation of my books. I already had quite a collection of children's books, plus the books I've been collecting for the baby and they are spread over a couple of small bookshelves in his play room. While I'd really like to have only his books in that room, there really isn't space for all of my books elsewhere, so we've had to move the big cabinet, which is four shelves of books plus two of board games, in there as well for the moment. It's giving me safety nightmares as it isn't the most stable and we are renting so I can't attach anything to the walls without getting permission (and did I mention there's just so much to do?!), and despite the fact that we've stabilised it as much as possible using odds and ends of carpet I still have nightmares about baby pulling it over on his head and getting squished. I know he'll be too young to notice for a while, but I feel bad that so much of our stuff is encroaching on his space... 

On the plus side, a lot has been achieved this week so I can be a lot calmer, as we've now bought the car seat (after the world's stupidest conversation in Mothercare about how our car, which is the MOST USELESS CAR IN THE WORLD has seatbelts which are too short for a car seat), and ordered the mattress for the cot so now whatever happens we will at least be able to get him home from the hospital and he'll have somewhere safe to sleep. Not, as my mother keeps suggesting, a drawer... 

As you may be able to tell, there's not too much of a point to this post except that I had the need to rant, and I am huge and knackered and feeling guilty for not being able to pull my weight with housework anymore! On the plus side it does allow all of you to feel good that you're less whiny than me....

2 comments:

  1. Awww, I think you're entitled to a baby rant- good stress reliever, that's what I say! Just breathe and stay calm and in 6 weeks you'll be able to do plenty of housework again mwahahaha!

    And NO HEAVY LIFTING! (I'm sure you know this. But still.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-) and yeah I know about the lifting,the problem is with people who wont let me lift at all. Even like boxes of empty boxes....

      Delete