Monday 16 May 2011

Creative Nonfiction Recommendations Please?

Wikipedia defines it like this:
Creative nonfiction (also known as literary or narrative nonfiction) is a genre of writing that uses literary styles and techniques to create factually accurate narratives. Creative nonfiction contrasts with other nonfiction, such as technical writing or journalism, which is also rooted in accurate fact, but is not primarily written in service to its craft. As a genre, creative nonfiction is still relatively young, and is only beginning to be scrutinized with the same critical analysis given to fiction and poetry.
This (I've no idea why) is what comes up on google images when you google Creative Nonfiction...

My little braincells are crying out for expansion and distraction, people! Lately I've been reading lots of reviews of non-fiction, and had made a big list of things to read.... and then lost the list, so now can't remember a single thing! Basically, I'm interested in reading anything that's non-fiction, on most subjects, really. I like to learn things, and I like anything that's interestingly written (i.e. not one of those books that has pages of black and white photos with 'figure 1' attached to every drawing...) I need some recommendations, and so I'm reaching out to all you people who read lots!

So, anybody got any recommendations of great stuff you've read? Please help my braincells out, they'll be eternally grateful! :-)

3 comments:

  1. April Fools Day by Bryce Courtenay
    An amazing book, but completely devastating. (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/835710.April_Fool_s_Day)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blink by Malcolm Gladwell
    On Writing by Stephen King
    The Devil in the White City by Tony Goldwyn
    In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
    A History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
    A Child Called It by David Pelzer
    Columbine by Dave Cullen

    Just a few ideas to start you off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! :-) I've read In Cold Blood, and thought it was great, and I will definitely check the rest of your recommendations out!

    ReplyDelete